Monday, December 27, 2010

Motivation, Formats, and Metrics

Motivation
I use to choose my books by reading the reviews in Amazon.
In general, the metrics I use are:
  • Average rating - the higher the rating, the higher the quality (really?)
  • Amount of reviews - the more reviews, the more credible the rating
Even though this is an excellent starting point (I love Amazon), I still have two open questions for my "business" reading:
  • Is it funny and easy enough to read in my rare free time?
  • Is the content really useful for me, my team and/or my startup?
This last point is very important, because I don't just want to learn new things, I also want these new things to improve my own work, and the work of my team.

Formats
I will try to stay as simple as possible, by posting:
  • Summary - the shortest summary I can distill
  • Models/concepts - a compact description of the models/concepts
  • Impact - my experience in the application of those models/concepts
Additionally, I will post few metrics (see next section).

Metrics
Well, as you can imagine, I will use metrics answering to my needs (in the hope that they are useful for someone else):
  • Rating Amazon - average rating (amount of reviews)
  • My rating - my general rating about the book
  • Fun factor - how funny or boring is the book (there are a lot of boring books in management)
  • Simplicity - rating of structure and style for easy reading
  • Impact - how much and how easy to apply

That's it.

Stay posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment